Friday, April 3, 2020

Ask and be given

Hotel reservations were made,
Flight bookings confirmed,
Train tickets bought.

It was to be
a long awaited holiday abroad.

Then came the outbreak.
It was endemic,
then epidemic,
finally, pandemic.

Government agencies scrambled
to contain the outbreak, with
borders closed,
roads blocked,
overseas travel prohibited.

Movement was much restricted.

We saw our bookings go up in smoke.
Hotels bookings, non-refundable.
Flights fares, non-refundable.
Only the train fares could be refunded,

but only partially,
and only in six months' time.

For a while, it seemed all was lost.
We had to come to terms
with the loss of our
hard earned savings.

I said a prayer,
and made supplication,
to the Sovereign in Heaven above,
asking to be spared the pain of loss.

I asked. And it was given me.

The next day, news began arriving.
One after another,
over a few days.

The hotels allowed me to cancel reservations.
One refunded me a few days later.
The other agreed to refund my money soon.

Then the airline announced
that I could request
for my flight to be cancelled,
and for the fare to be kept
In an account for future bookings.

Yes, at last, I am spared.

I asked. I was given.

Ask and be given.
2020.04.03 1834 hrs

#Poetry #PoetryByHarolde
#napowrimo #glopowrimo

A Spoonful of Malaysian Magic

An Anthology — A burong descends from Tansang Kenyalang in the midst of a dire catastrophe. A shapeshifter f...