Thursday, October 24, 2019

Dizzy

"What dizzying height!"
I mutter under my breath,
as I begin to walk across.

The long rope bridge,
hanging between two towering trees,
is constantly

swinging,
swaying,
sometimes bouncing,
with each step I take.

Gingerly,
I inch forward
on the canopy bridge,
suspended hundreds of feet
from the ground below,

gripping the ropes on each side
tightly,
trying to steady myself,
as I take my hesitant steps
towards the other end,

swinging,
swaying,
sometimes bouncing,
with each step I take.

I look down
briefly,
as I am about halfway across,
I feel the blood drain off from my head,
feeling as if
I'm falling off the bridge.

My knees become wobbly,
my head, dizzy,
the ground far below,
seems to be spinning slowly.

My mind tells me
that I am safe,
I know I'm holding on tightly
and on the planks
I'm stepping firmly.

Yet my heart tells me otherwise,
for I am

swinging,
swaying,
sometimes bouncing,
with each step I take,

my knees become wobbly,
my head, dizzy.

20191024
#Poetry #PoetryByHaroldHuang #Inktober

Dizzy

A Spoonful of Malaysian Magic

An Anthology — A burong descends from Tansang Kenyalang in the midst of a dire catastrophe. A shapeshifter f...