Sunday, May 6, 2018

I stayed

Reminiscing my sixth form years in secondary school when I saw many of my friends going overseas to further their studies and to look for a better future in a more promising land.

I stayed

"There's no hope in this country"
"There's little left", they said
With few places in university,
And narrow paths ahead.

Why would we continue here to stay
When the future looks so bleak
When our wealth is being chiselled away
On pretext of helping the weak.

Whether business permits, or land grants
Or just a roof over the head,
For us who are labelled "immigrants"
A high price has to be paid.

For government aid and incentives,
Are not for us to apply,
As they are reserved for the "natives"
To enlarge their slice of the pie.

With heavy hearts they left our shore,
For a better life abroad,
They went to a land that gave them more,
Than what we can here afford.

Alas, I couldn't join their quest
For a better future there.
For I was too poor to even suggest,
Migrating anywhere.

So back in this home land I'd stay
With what little I can earn
And toil ahead for a brighter day,
When for better this land would turn.




A Spoonful of Malaysian Magic

An Anthology — A burong descends from Tansang Kenyalang in the midst of a dire catastrophe. A shapeshifter f...