Saturday, November 23, 2019

The blank stare

20191123
A rude encounter at the air pump of a petrol station in town a few days ago.

"Hello," I called the driver of the van
to let him know I've finished with my task,
and handed him the air pump hose and nozzle,
"Would you like to use the pump?" I asked.

He had been standing just beside his vehicle,
waiting somewhat impatiently for his turn
to use the pump on tyres low on pressure,
watching, for me to finish and return.

I thought I'd save this driver time and trouble,
by handing the reel of hose over to him,
instead of putting it back onto the pump,
"He'll be happy that I do this," to me it seemed.

To my dismay, without a word he took
the hose and nozzle away from my hands.
Giving me a stern expressionless look,
leaving me puzzled, I couldn't understand.

To think that I have tried to show some kindness,
it left me feeling annoyed, standing there,
Instead of hearing a simple word of "Thanks",
all I received was only a blank stare.

Started: 20191120
Finished: 20191123 12:41hr
#Poetry
#PoetryByHaroldHuang

The Blank Stare

A Spoonful of Malaysian Magic

An Anthology — A burong descends from Tansang Kenyalang in the midst of a dire catastrophe. A shapeshifter f...